- General Meeting, Thursday, March 18, 2010
- Field Trips and Nature Walks
- Garden Tour, May 8, 2010
1. General Meeting – Restoration, Past and Future at the Bolsa Chica Mesa
Please join us this Thursday night, March 18, 2010 at the Duck Club, Riparian View Way, Irvine (see http://occnps.org/ for directions):
- 6:45 PM doors open, hospitality
- 7:15 PM Planting Natives feature: Top 10 Native Plants for the Garden, with Kim Kolpin
- 7:30 PM Main Program: Kim Kolpin, Director, Bolsa Chica Stewards
This month as part of our “Orange County is Special” series, we turn to the great Bolsa Chica. Focusing on the Mesa portion of the Reserve, Kim will give an overview of the history of Bolsa Chica, the issues and circumstances that have resulted from the property’s former uses and the restoration plan currently being designed, which will involve the establishment of multiple habitats with help from the community. Kim will discuss the future nursery design and the challenges faced by the project. The presentation will include historical photos, maps, current photos and conceptual design drawings.
Kim Kolpin is one of the founding members and director of the Bolsa Chica Stewards, the restoration team of the Bolsa Chica Land Trust. For eleven of the past fourteen years of the organization’s history, Mrs. Kolpin has led all of the group’s activities. As a result of her work at Bolsa Chica, Mrs. Kolpin began a California native plant garden design firm in spring of 2008. Sage Landscape Designs now brings drought tolerant native gardens to homeowners in Southern California.
2. Field Trips and Nature Walks - Please Join Us!
- Saturday, March 20… San Mateo Marsh (Nature Walk) 10 am – Rare habitat for Orange County where freshwater marsh meets the ocean in San Clemente.
- Saturday, March 27… Caspers Park (Nature Walk) 9 am – Wildflowers like the Shooting stars below are plentiful at Caspers now, along with birds, butterflies and great views.
- Saturday, April 10… Driving tour of Irvine Ranch Conservancy – Wildflowers and Critters
All are welcome to join our two “Nature Walks” which are designed as an introduction to our local habitats for new enthusiasts, or our more traditional field trip to the Irvine Ranch Conservancy. Plentiful rains this winter have left their gift of lush hillsides, running streams, butterflies galore and great wildflowers. Please register with Rich Schilk (birdGuy@naturalista.net) for more information and directions, or see our website http://occnps.org/ and click on the “Field Trips” link.
1. Native Gardens Tour, May 8, 2010 – Save the Date!
Our Garden Tour committee has lined up eleven great gardens featuring California native plants that you won’t want to miss. Please save this date and plan to be inspired and amazed at the beauty and creativity of the gardens. If you can help, please consider spending a few hours as a greeter/guide in one of the gardens. Contact Brad Jenkins, firstname.lastname@example.org or Sarah Jayne, email@example.com for further information, or see them at this week’s general meeting.
UNSUBSCRIBE INFO: You are receiving this email because you signed up at an event, or through membership. To unsubscribe, please reply to this email, and type “Unsubscribe” in the subject line or body of your message. For further information contact: California Native Plant Society – Orange County Chapter, P.O. Box 54891, Irvine, CA 92619-4891